Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Suffering's Why

When we suffer in any way we always ask why. Why is that? Lately I've been pondering this "why." I've often found myself screaming this question inside my head (to whom?), yet I could not understand why I wonder why. And what difference it would make if I were given an answer? Why do I seek to understand why unpleasant things happen to me?

There is something fundamental about our need to understand our circumstances, the reasons things are the way they are, and happen the way they happen. And this is much deeper than simple curiosity.

We human beings instinctively reject what is false, and embrace what is true. We are willing to conform ourselves to the truth when we see it. For example, when we see why a rule exists, we are usually more willing to follow it. When we don't see why, or perceive it as false, then we reject it as a spurious, arbitrary falsehood.

We often are willing to make great sacrifices for what it true, good and just.

So when we are suffering, we long for an explanation that, in its truth, gives suffering legitimacy. In that truth, we can accept what is happening to us, even embrace it. We can be at peace with our circumstances.

So that is why we ask why: it is a hope that there is a true reason that makes everything okay. The search for that truth leads us ultimately not to a particular truth, but to truth itself, truth in its essence. That is, Truth Himself: Christ Jesus.

Unlike a particular truth, essential Truth applies to all of our experiences and circumstances. It is sufficient, not just for this or that, but for all things, in all times. It makes all things bearable, all things good, "all things new."

Truth desires to enter into me, and I into Him. Be still, my soul, and let Him in. For in Him I can "bear all things."

No comments: